Central Victoria Visitor Information
Visitor Information: Central Victoria, Australia
Central Victoria is a charming region in the southeast of Australia, known for its historic gold rush towns, natural beauty and delicious food and wine. Here are some must-see attractions and activities in the area:
Ballarat is the largest city in Central Victoria and a great place to start your trip. The city has a rich history, with many of its gold rush-era buildings still standing. The must-see attractions in Ballarat include:
- The Sovereign Hill Museum: This outdoor museum is a re-creation of a 1850s gold mining town, complete with costumed interpreters, working mines and shops, and a daily gold pour.
- The Ballarat Botanical Gardens: These stunning gardens are home to thousands of different plants, including a beautiful conservatory, a lake and a children's playground.
- The Ballarat Wildlife Park: This park is home to over 100 species of native Australian animals, including kangaroos, wallabies, koalas and wombats.
Bendigo is another historic city in Central Victoria, known for its stunning architecture and vibrant arts scene. Some of the top attractions in Bendigo include:
- The Bendigo Art Gallery: This gallery is home to one of the best regional art collections in Australia, with works by famous Australian artists like Sidney Nolan and Rupert Bunny.
- The Ulumbarra Theatre: This stunning theatre is housed in a converted 1860s prison, and hosts a wide range of performances throughout the year.
- The Bendigo Joss House Temple: This temple is a fascinating look at the history of the Chinese community in Bendigo during the gold rush era.
Food and Wine
Central Victoria is also known for its exceptional food and wine, with a wide range of top-notch wineries, breweries and restaurants to choose from. Some of the must-visit food and wine destinations in the area include:
- The Heathcote Wine Region: This region is known for producing some of Australia's best shiraz wines, and is home to over 40 different wineries.
- The Castlemaine Farmers' Market: This weekly market is a great place to sample some of the best local produce, including fresh fruit and vegetables, artisan breads and cheeses, and organic meats.
- The Macedon Ranges: This region is home to a number of award-winning wineries, as well as some of the best restaurants in Central Victoria.